Now that it's vacation time, here are is some info on RV insurance.

It’s summer time, and the kids are out of school. For many Americans, this is the time of the year for traveling or getting out of town. One popular way for many to enjoy the summer is to escape and get on the road with a new RV. RV’s (Recreational Vehicles) come in all shapes, sizes and budgets, but one thing they all have in common is that they are an investment and need to be insured against damage, or loss.

RV’s come in so many varieties that in some cases insurance may not even be required, but it’s a good idea to have coverage of some kind anyway. The main difference in coverage comes between motor homes and campers. Any vehicle driven on the road is required to be insured and that includes motor homes.

Campers are a different story and different rules apply. Campers, for the most part are towed behind a vehicle and not driven, RV insurance is optional according to state law. Only a lender can require full coverage to be carried in order to secure its interest. With a newer camper, it is recommended to carry full coverage so you do not lose your investment; however, if you do not have a secured loan the coverage is optional.

The optional and recommended coverage in either case is comprehensive and collision, but there are companies that offer special coverage. You may want to get “total loss replacement” coverage, or coverage for “custom equipment”. If you drive far you may want to consider some coverage that includes “road side assistance”. There is also “vacation liability” coverage that can help you in case there is an accident, it pays up to specified limits for bodily injury and property damage because of an accident that takes place while the RV is used as a temporary vacation residence.

Better safe than sorry. Check with your agent regarding what coverage is best for your RV.